Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

Budget meals for kids...Nachos are one of their favourite meals

I actually made this for the kids last night before we went to watch the Jets game at Ausgrid Stadium. It is such a quick and filling meal, and with the inclusion of corn chips, what child, or adult for that matter wouldn't love it,  except I've found, those that don't like corn chips.



                                             
                                                  BEEF NACHOS


1 large Onion, finely chopped
500g beef Mince
300g Kidney Beans, drained
1Pkt Taco Mix
2T Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Water
1 large pkt Corn Chips
1 cup grated Cheese


1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Spray fry-pan with cooking spray and
   have pan at medium heat. Cook onion for 2 mins. or until soft. 


2.  Add mince. Cook, stirring with wooden spoon for 5 mins. or until
    browned. Add kidney beans, taco mix, tomato paste & water. Reduce
   heat to medium-low and simmer 4-5 mins. or until thick.


3. Arrange half the corn chips on a heatproof plate, top with mince then 
   sprinkle the remainder of corn chips on top. Sprinkle with cheese.


4. Bake for 10-15 mins. or until cheese has melted.




VON'S HINTS:-


* Tomato Salsa, mashed Avocado and Sour Cream are all tasty options to serve
  with Nachos.


* Though beef mince is the kid's favourite for this recipe I just use whatever 
   mince is in the freezer, whether that be chicken, pork or veal.


* I prefer to add the kidney beans so the kids are getting the added fibre, but 
   if I make this when they have friends over who don't like them I just leave
   them out.


* I also like to add a few teaspoons of minced garlic to the onions while 
   they're cooking, but this is a personal preference. I add garlic to most 
  meals in this house, unbeknownst to my youngest son who declared the 
  other day that he didn't like garlic. I laughed and said to him, " That's
  funny, I add garlic to most of your meals and have been doing so since you 
   were little so I beg to differ that you don't like garlic". 


* If we have a full house I usually double this recipe and make it in my big 
  lasagne dish. 


* For a slightly different taste if you're making this recipe often there is 
   subtle differences across the different brands of taco mixes and there are
   also Burrito Mixes you can use. Different families will prefer different brands
   so experiment and see which you prefer.



No comments:

Post a Comment