Pages

Saturday 28 January 2012

GOT A COOKING QUESTION??

                                 


            ( But if you need a longer answer, I'm happy to give it to you)




I started cooking when I was 3-4 years old. My Mum has pictures of me proudly
holding a pie I had helped her make. I have been very fortunate that my Mum taught me the basics of cooking from a very early age, but I realise that others may not have had that privilege. In this hectic world we live in, where people just don't seem to have the time to get everything done that they would like, and with supermarkets literally bursting at the seams with a selection of 'convenience' foods designed to make our life easy, it would seem like it would be easy for people everywhere to prepare a meal for themselves and their families. 


For someone like me, who has been raised on predominately home made food, there is something really important missing from the stuff you can buy at the shops...and that's TASTE!!! Yeah I know you can buy cookie dough already made and yeah I know there's a 'Chicken Tonight' in a hundred different varieties that I can add to chicken and go,but it just doesn't taste the same.....


So for me, trying to cook as many meals as I can with the least amount of 'processed' food added to it is really important, especially when looking at the labels of some of these 'conveniences' that have ingredients lists that look like some of the stuff we used in chemistry back at school....I don't have a science or medical degree but I still wonder if all the stuff they put in our food these days is really good for us or not.


BUT...I am a busy Mum and I know like so many others, that as much as we want to give our families the best food there is, it's that damn time factor that
keeps up grabbing the 'quick' meals that we can get on the table to feed everyone. However, with more and more of us doing what we have to, to get a meal on the table, the skills which were once passed down automatically from mother to daughter ( yeah I know, things weren't politically correct back in the day) are being lost. I am doing my utmost to ensure my children have the skills they need to cook a meal from scratch, and this is , in part, some of the reason as to why I started this blog, so I can share with others the joy of cooking and the recipes that feed MY family.


                          


It's one thing however for me to post my recipes, but it's a total other for you to cook them and get the same results. I take for granted all the little tricks of the trade that my Mum taught me so I would like to encourage anyone who has a cooking question, to leave it in the comments section and I will answer it for you. The  other alternative is to send me an email at cookingonashoestringblog@hotmail.com. Just remember, there's no such thing as a silly question.....so ask away.
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment