Pages

Monday 6 February 2012

SWEET POTATO AND BACON PIE...Another Low Cost Meal on a Budget

Oh my goodness, I made this pie for the first time last night and delicious isn't a descriptive enough word to describe how yummy this pie tasted. I was drooling over it, the girls went back for seconds and my youngest son who had only earlier turned his nose up at how it looked was raving about how good it tasted.  
                           
                                   SWEET POTATO AND BACON PIE


             
50g Butter
50g Lard
200g Flour


900g Sweet Potatoes
4 rashers Bacon, rinded, chopped
1 medium Onion, chopped
50g Mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground Pepper


1. To make pie crust,rub the fats into the flour until it resembles 
    breadcrumbs.Mix into a soft dough with cold water. Roll out and use to line a 
    well-greased 20cm flan ring or deep pie dish.
  
2. To make filling: Boil sweet potatoes in salted water for 20-30 mins or
   until cooked. Drain, remove skins and mash with a little milk and butter.


3. Heating a pan,spray with cooking spray, add bacon, onions, mushrooms and 
   cook gently. Add bacon mix and seasoning to pureed sweet potato and   
   combine. Pour mix into pastry case and cook in moderate oven for 20-25
   minutes.


      


COOKING HINTS FROM VON:-


* I have to admit, although I love cooking, I have yet to master the art of
   making pastry. So for this recipe, as I often do for others which require 
    the use of pastry, I simply substituted it for ready rolled pastry. For this 
   recipe I used 1 1/2 sheets of puff pastry which I overlapped over each other 
   then trimmed the excess from around the pie dish. I then put it in a moderate
   oven for 10 minutes before putting the filling in, so as to avoid having a soggy 
   bottomed pie.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment