Pages

Saturday 24 March 2012

DO YOU THINK YOU'RE NOT A GREAT COOK???

Do you think you're not a great cook because your attempts always come out looking nothing like what's shown in the recipe book??? Well have you ever considered that it might just be your oven and not you??? I have been cooking my whole life so whilst I by no means consider myself an expert I have been around the kitchen long enough that I have a fair idea of what I am doing.
                        


Yet, when I moved into the home I am now living, if I hadn't known any better I  would have thought I was the worst cook ever. I would make cakes and follow the recipe to the letter but if a recipe stated a 40 minute cooking time, I would be smelling the cake burning after 20 minutes yet only the top was cooked and the remainder of the cake still batter. I thought,what on earth is going on,at one point I thought I was going crazy. I double-checked, triple-checked the cooking times, I had even accounted for the fact that it is a fan-forced oven and had reduced the temperature to what was recommended, yet I was still having the same problem.


                            


I have now resigned myself to the fact that I have the world's worst oven and that I really can't leave it unattended for too long. Therefore my cooking experiences these days involved constantly monitoring my oven whilst it's cooking, and when the top starts browning, I then have to cover it with foil just to give the rest of the recipe time to catch up. Not an ideal way to cook but you know what?? It adds to the fun and it makes cooking even more worthwhile because I know how much love and effort has been put into cooking for the people I love.


So for those of you have written themselves off as good cooks, think again...it may just be your oven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment