Pages

Wednesday 14 March 2012

ORIENTAL FRIED NOODLE SALAD

I first tasted this Oriental Fried Noodle Salad years ago at a friend's place and after really enjoying the salad and requesting the recipe(as I always do when I truly enjoy a dish) I was told that it was to be found on the back of the packet of "Changs" Fried Noodles...and so they were, and still are today years later. So finally, after all these years I actually made them though I am embarrassed  to admit that it actually took me that long to get around to making it. I am also able to honestly say that the time taken between actually first tasting and admiring this salad and the actual making of it myself is no way indicative of how great this salad actually is...just perhaps a reflection of how busy my life is.


                    
                                                ORIENTAL FRIED NOODLE SALAD




1/2-1 Chinese Cabbage or Savoy Cabbage, shredded finely
6 Shallots, chopped into 5mm lengths
100g lightly roasted Slivered Almonds OR Pinenuts
1 Pkt Fried Noodles (100g)


DRESSING:


1/4 cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 T Soy Sauce
2 teasp. Sesame Oil (optional)
1/2 cup Olive Oil


1. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a saucepan. Stir well over low heat
   until sugar is dissolved. Cool.


2. Toss the cabbage, chopped shallots and almonds in a salad bowl. Add
    dressing and mix well.


3. Just prior to serving add the noodles and toss thoroughly. Serves 6-8.

COOKING HINTS FROM VON:-

* Any leftover salad goes well on school lunches. I used it in the girl's wraps 
   and they loved it. They also like taking this salad in a container for school
   and I often mix some chicken pieces through it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment